Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Week

On Wednesday, I went to school for the first time. It is terrible. I am in the prep class, which I chose in order to improve my french. But really, its teaching the kids french. And I already know french! Right now we are learning numbers & animal names!!! I'm so bored with it, it's awful. We are trying to switch me into a more difficult class. Hopefully that will happen SOON.
It's a really ugly school, but its right downtown Alsancak, so after school I can just walk & meet my friends (after changing out of my ugly uniform haha).
I really like my math teacher. He's french, so he's not as psychotic as my other teachers. They scream a lot. It's scary.
In my English class no one ever speaks english. It's so annoying. We were supposed to take a test on Friday to assess our level of English (because some students know none & some know quite a bit) & then that would determine our English class. BUT WE NEVER TOOK IT. I felt so cheated. Now I have to sit through another day of that boring class with everyone speaking Turkish. I just want to get into an English class where I can DO something.
I'm not learning anything & it's really disappointing.
Also, every Turkish person I've talked to hates Tevfik Fikret (my school). Hm... I wonder why?
On the bright side, I'm joining fencing club. I'm so excited about this :D
The students are really nice to me. I like all of them a lot. They treat me like a popstar, but I'm sure the novelty will wear off this next week. This one boy wants to date me though & that is awkward because he doesn't speak any English haha.

4 comments:

B said...

fencing would be awesome. in college one of my fraternity brothers bought two complete sets of fencing gear. lets just say a few arguements were settled in the backyard with a swordfight. neighbors must have thought we were nuts.

Grandma Ginny said...

Your fencing class should be interesting. Something quite different. Hang in there, next week in school will probably level out for you. You are learning so much just by being in Turkey, and we are not, so you are ahead of us. Hope your week is more exciting. Think of you often.
Love, Grandma Ginny

Shannon said...

Well, school generally drives kids nuts, so you are just going crazy in Turkish!

Regardless, enjoy the experience that you are having. It may be boring at times but you will laugh about it later. Just keep recording your memories.

Are you taking lots of pics?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Try to have fun and NO DATING!!:)