Monday, September 3, 2007

Around Alsancak

I spent my morning rearranging my luggage until Ece (a rebound who went to Portland) called & we went to lunch at a salad/sandwich shop near the Kordon. Afterwards we walked down to the Kordon, the most popular street in İzmir. It goes along the sea much like Grandview Parkway, except it's more geared to pedestrians and loiterers than cars. Then we went to look for a new purse for me because mine was sadly destroyed with travels. Both of the zipper pulls came off and the braiding is unraveling. Lucky for me, everything is on an end of season sale (!!!) and there are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many nice shops here. I went to a TopShop for the first time & now, I wish it could be my next host family. However, I didn't buy anything (don't worry Mom & Dad) except for one skirt for 15 lira & lunch for 10. Tomorrow Janelle & I are going because she wants to go "school shopping" too. Even though Ece did a really good job of showing me around, I still have no idea of where anything is haha.
After shopping, we met Ece's mom Seniye for ice cream, which is really different. It's like gelato where you get all different flavors together so I had caramel, coffee, walnut, & pistachio. (It was my first pistachio ice cream!!!) The texture is different too... its creamier than gelato, but stickier than ice cream... strange, but good.
Ece's father Cengiz met us and later we all went to dinner at a traditional kebab restaurant. We all got different dishes... Adana kebab, pide (Turkish pizza with meat & cheese & phyllo-style dough), lahmacun (Turkish pizza on flatbread with minced meat & spices) & an eggplant kebab. We had muhallebi for desert, a custard/yogurt made with gum (that comes from trees in Çeşme), which was very good. Also, I tried ayran, the yogurt drink with salt, which wasn't bad but wasn't good either (the saltiness reminded me of tomato juice). AND I tried Turkish tea which I like with half a suger cube (az şekerli).
Now I am at Ece's house waiting for Aylin to pick me up - she's doing Rotary training.
P.S. Turkish babies are the cutest thing ever.

8 comments:

Ondrea said...

I have just read through your travels so far,
and I have to say,
you're doing pretty well seeing as how you haven't come into contact with any animal feces yet.
I am definitely looking forward to reading more,
I'll be on here a lot,
I can assure you.
I love you!!

Grandma Ginny said...

Hi Britton,

Grandpa & I read your blog for today. It sounds like you are doing great, and enjoying your new life style. It is fun to read what you are doing.

"We love you,"
Grandma & Grandpa

Anonymous said...

I love your writing, descriptive and concise.
It takes a lot of courage to step into the unkown. I'm very proud of you.

You Rock! and I love you. Dad

Unknown said...

Sounds like such an exciting adventure! It's fun to hear about the cultural differences. Thanks for sharing the details and I look forward to checking in frequently.

Take in all the worldly wonders while the adult world back home trudges through the work routine. Ok ok...I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

Take good care of yourself!

From: Lance in Dallas (your dad's old Army friend...yes...he still has a few friends out there)

Shannon said...

Howdy again! Just dropped the kiddos off at school. Justin started Middle School today, getting on the bus with high school kids. Very strange.

It sounds like you are having a great time so far, let me know when you are jonesing for some American junk food, I'll send some over.

Love you,

Aunt Shannon

B said...

Glad to see that you finally made it. Have fun, be safe, and keep us all updated.

-Brent

p.s.- turkish pizza sounds good...you better learn how to make it!

B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
B said...

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/heartbroken_bush_runs_after_0

Britt, Check it out...lol