I am beginning to feel very negatively about being here. I know this is just a stage of exchange so I shouldn't get irrational, but there are some parts of the culture that I really disagree with. I will list them very concisely so as not to dwell on it:
1. No one recycles anything. The fact that we have a Body Shop here is ridiculus as no one cares about the recyclable plastic containers.
2. Everyone litters. Alsancak is a giant garbage can.
3. There are so many homeless people. Two guys I see always downtown, one with out legs (who gets around by walking with his hands & dragging his stumps) & one who uses crutches because his legs are so skinny & weak.
4. The homeless cats & dogs. There is one cat I see everyday on my way home... it's a kitten & it only has one eye.
5. The boys (particularly the ones in my class, who are 14) are really gross & lame. The f-word is HILARIOUS, apparently. It seems as though they evolve at the age of 17 when they begin going to Starbucks & wearing Abercrombie & Fitch (trying to become American???). Finally at 19 they are able to have a sensible conversation.
6. All Turkish teenagers go to Starbucks & Burger King. Starbucks to look cool & Burger King because it's cheap.
7. EVERYONE EATS FAST FOOD. And no one is fat.... !?!?!?!??!?!?!?
Ok. That is all for now. I will try not to focus on any of it.
P.S. I've been reading American news on CNN.com... That is just depressing.
P.P.S. On the bright side I bought a book by Milan Kundera today :D
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I know you are seeing things that you don't like, and can't change. Always hard to experience in life. How we wish everything could be prefect, but sad to say, that is not reality.
Wow, they can eat fast food, and not get fat. Bummer, whats their secret?? Maybe they walk more in Turkey then we do here, thus walking all those calories off. Do they walk a lot, and are they more physically active then we Americans?
From 1-4 I was thinking...are you sure you are in Turkey? I think the rotary people may have accidentaly dropped you off in Detroit!
I'm sure things will get better, just try and positive, and when you need to get away, get out a good book and a good cd.
P.S.- You need a blog that you can comment back on...you would think that google would be on top of this kind of stuff.
Hey Brit, your Aunt Shannon passed on your blog... I'm enjoying catching up on your adventures so far!
Do you think the temperate climate is part of the reason you see more homeless? (If I were homeless I sure wouldn't stay in Michigan)
What's the Starbucks like in comparison with the ones in the US? Same franchise "style"? (Paris was no different except the actual coffee)
xoxo
Amy
Yep, there are things that you cannot change. Especially not with just one year in a country. Look for the good, the new, the intriguing. It will not be fun and rainbows everyday there, but you will have experiences that will be life altering.
I am sure it is hard to see the homeless, both humans and animals. Let it remind you of how great life is in Traverse.
And yes, a lot of cultures throw their trash everywhere. We are considered to be neat freaks. I like that connotation.
Chip up, buckeroo!
Hi dude I'm Birtan Ünsal and I live in İzmir, I was the president of Interact Club Karşıyaka last year. I was in contact wit' all the exchange students last year when they were in Izmir and we were havin' a great time :D
I also know spanish and also a bit french, I've to improve these two :D
I really wanna be in contact with you all guys to have good times by hangin' out in these following days...
I'll be apreciated if you could write your msn adress down in this blog so I can add you then we could be in contact?
You could also write your phone number... please don't hesitate to contact me, catch you soon :)
Post a Comment