Today I went shopping in Alsancak... It was a totally different experience from what I'm used to. All of the shops are designer & if they're not, it looks realllllly cheap. There's not an in between. Even with the good exchange rate, the fact that İzmir is the cheapest city in Turkey & end of summer sales, its hard to find a good deal. Also, the biggest size in the stores for pants is a 10 or a 31 usually... that is my size :O I hope I don't gain any weight!!!
I bought a pair of jeans and a pair of shorts at Mavi. Mavi is a Turkish designer jean company and ''mavi'' means blue in Turkish. The jeans fit me really well in length, which I chalked up to be because Turkish women are (for the most part) rather small. However, I realized later that they are capris. Hahah.
Also I bought a new bag becaue my old one was too big for the city. I kept hitting people in crowded areas and it was too big to keep close to me. Also the zipper pulls had come off and keeping your bag zipped up is an important part of living in a city.
I really appreciate everyone leaving comments & I would write back on them but I don't know how. Everything on this website here is in Turkish as with my msn messenger, so they're rather difficult to navigate. Brent - the onion wouldn't let me look at that thing :( When I got to İstanbul, I'll go to some concerts & tell you about the music here.
Aunt Shannon - We have Burger King here in downtown Alsancak. Janelle (another student from Wisconsin) and I almost went in today because we were famished but got some Turkish fast food instead. It was only 2.75 lira!!!
Lance - I remember you!
Everyone else - I love you & miss you & will see you soon!
Tuesday, September 4, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You had better find out where the "big girl" stores are before I come to visit! If you are the biggest size, I am in SERIOUS trouble!
Hey Britt:
Glad to hear you made it safe and sound.
I was cracking up when I read about your jeans (capris) - that is hilarious!! I'm with your mom, if you are the largest size there is something drastically wrong!
Sounds like you are having fun already. It's nice that you have this time to get familiar with things prior to school starting.
Love you...Aunt Dana
Hi Britt,
we are enjoying your comments on your blog, so keep them coming. We look forward to checking them out, and hearing from you.
Love you bunches, and proud of you gal!
Grandpa Bob & Grandma Ginny
Oh my....the adventures you are already having. And seriously, they have a BK? It figures that Americana is weaving its way in.
It seems like you are having a great adventure already. I'm glad that you are having some time off before starting school. You will become a bit acclimated.
Are you sharing a room at your "host family?" Are they tall like you?
What are you looking forward to most? Are you picking up lingo?
Post a Comment