As the temperature drops, so do my spirits. The weather is slightly colder, but still sunny & with rain. (I dont know how it can rain & be so sunny all the time...) I keep wondering, why arent the leaves changing colors?; where is Halloween, the apple donuts & cider (we have elma çay but it doesnt compare), Thanksgiving, feeling of overall festiveness? Our last holiday, Ramazan Bayram lasted about 3 days & was low-key in comparison to American/Christian holidays. I guess we like to go all out...
I'm still happy, dont get me wrong. But with the weather slowly changing, I feel like this has been a long continuation of my first week, as if I havent made any progress. Its hard to feel like Ive just treaded water for the past 2 months.
However, there are simple pleasures to be found here & not in the US. For one thing: WAFFLES. Its fairly common to find a little waffle restaurant in most neighborhoods. They cook the waffle fresh for you & you choose a number of toppings. My favorite is strawberry, banana, nutella, & white chocolate. Sometimes I get caramel, too, depending on the mood. I eat at least one waffle every week. Its a bad habit, but also one very hard to break.
Also, (a recent discovery for me) the BosPa aka the Bostanli Pazar (bazaar, in Turkish). Every Wednesday, vendors set up their tents & sell foods, clothes, shoes, etc. All of their prices are excellent & while, I believe you can barter, theres really no need to. I got a sweatshirt there last week for 7 USD. I'm going again tomorrow :D
Things are winding down for me on the excitement level. Im getting tired. The technical term for it is Culture Fatigue, where one becomes easily tired of constantly being in an unfamiliar environment. Everyday life is a constant (though minor) struggle & its easy to become irritable.
On the plus side, school is much better. I have friends I actually LIKE to sit with at lunch & they invite me places with them. Also, Ive joined Interact, a version of Rotary for students ages 14 - 18. Were putting on a charity ball, the proceeds from which go to deaf children. Also, Friday I will attend dance team for the first time & learn some Traditional Turkish dance. Eep... Im nervous, but Im sure itll be fun.
Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, it was so good to hear your news. I know you miss your tradional things here at home which is so normal. I remember your mother when she was away from home at Christmas while living in San Francisco, she cried when she heard a particular Christmas song being played. It made her miss home, and what she was use to, and she was still in the USA.
Britton, if I may, could I give one bit of advice, enjoy this year there, take in and see as much as possible because this year will be over before you know it, and you will have many more years in the USA to experience the things you hold as special traditions. Look through wide eyes, and enjoy the experience you now have. We will so enjoy hearing all about it.
I would LOVE their craft/bazaar sales. I like them here too! When we went on our cruise one of my special places was a little side bazaar in the Bahamas. When I went to Israel, I loved the market in the old city of Jerusalem. So much fun to see their wares, and enjoy their culture.
We miss and love you, and will be so anxious to see your pictures. I hope you take many of everything around you, of people, things and scenery so you can share your experiences with us.
Love, Grandma Ginny (Grandpa too)
P.S. Uncle Kurt, Aunt Dana, Ondrea & Dylan are coming to TC on Saturday. I have a craft show at Bertha Vos school, and Ondrea is making some corded bracelets to put on the table to sell. She is also going to help me for awhile, and probably shop the craft sale too.
Post a Comment