Monday, October 1, 2007

Kuşadası, Ephesus, Virgin Mary's House

This weekend we had our first Rotary organized trip. It was a mini one - just the weekend - to Kuşadası, a beach resort city close to İzmir. It was really beautiful. We spent a lot of time at our hotel doing get-to-know-you crap & then swimming in the pool. I didnt have my bathing suit so I wore Beths bathing suit top & my pj pants! Haha... My bestfriends, Janelle, Beth & I spent all night dancing in our room (which we inadvertently kicked people out of...) & being silly. I almost peed my pants so many times that night...
The next morning we went to the Virgin Mary's house. She spent the last years of her life there. It was tiny but very peaceful. We washed out hands in a spring of holy water & made prayers. Also there was a wall there with thousands of bits of paper that had prayers written on them attached to it. It was really beautiful to read the ones in English & to see the ones written in all different languages.
Next, we went to Ephesus. It was pretty incredible. Thousands of years ago it was this huge ancient city. Now the most prominent ruins are of the library (it was the third richest library in the world during its time), the public toilets (yes I sat on them!!), & the gigantic ampitheater. Ray Charles & Tom Jones played there, though now I think theyre just trying to preserve it - not turn it into a major concert venue.
It was an insane trip, mainly thanks to my amazing girlies!
P.S. Rotary denied my request to go see Bela Fleck & Chick Korea (AND MOST IMPORTANTLY JOE) in İstanbul... :(

1 comment:

Grandma Ginny said...

Thanks for writing about your week-end. What a great experience. I would love to have been with you, at least for the sight-seeing. I hope you took a lot of pictures.

Ephesus is also a Biblical city especially in the early church, shortly after the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ. The Apostle Paul went there on missionary journeys, probably between 30-60 A.D. I want to hear all about it!!!