Thought I'd check in so everyone is aware that I am not dead yet. Yes, I know about the car bombs & the potential terrorist threat. That attack happened on the opposite end of the country & I am fine here. There has been a potential threat since I've got here & I've always taken procautions against any anti-American sentiment.
1. Always be polite & respectful.
2. If someone aks, say you're English/Russian/Dutch (don't give Canadians the satisfaction & chances are no one knows Flemmish/Russian).
3. No loud English speaking in public.
When following these rules, everything is safe & dandy. I AM NOT DYEING MY HAIR.
In other news, day to day life is fine here. There is a small film festival going on at the French Culture Center, where I saw Persépolis yesterday. It was an amazing movie about an Iranian girl growing up in & out of Iran during the revolution. I'd be very interested in reading the graphic novel it is based on (care package *hint hint wink wink*). I watched it entirely in French (with Turkish subtitles) so I understood most of it, but I would still like to watch it in English to fully understand. Tonight we are going to see Goodbye, Bafana & Sunday we have plans for Jeux d'Enfants (Love Me If You Dare) & Sleeping Dogs Lie. There are two other films playing that will be in different languages with Turkish subtitles, so I will try to rent them from my host mom or watch them in the States. They are 4 months, 3 weeks & 2 Days & Promise Me This.
Other than that, our lives are filled with the countdown until we go to Istanbul/go on winter break. (We have a two week break around at the end of January!!)
P.S. If anyone sends me a package, please give me the code for it so I can track whether it's in the country/lost/whatever. Thanks!!
Friday, January 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment