I had to change families on Christmas Eve. I packed all of my stuff up a few days before because I was staying with a friend outside of the city over the bayram (Turkish holiday). So, Dec 24th I was all ready to go & asked my host mom when we'd be leaving. She told me that Kyl would take me & we could be there at 6pm. I guess she didn't realize that Kyl is a 16 year old exchange student, who doesn't have a car. I was amazed. But, Kyl is an amazing friend & carried 3 of my 5 bags (and a painting) & we took a taxi (it cost 15ytl!!) all the way across town from Alsancak to Göztepe. It was, once again, quite an adventure. Thank God for Kyl.
Another thing that apparently slipped her mind was that we had a Christmas Eve dinner at 6:45pm in Foça. So, Kyl & I did not go at 6pm. We left at about 3pm. And everything worked out nicely.
The Christmas Eve dinner was really nice. We had "turkey" (this time I'm not so sure...), rice, soup, salad, & a pumpkin desert. Rotary gave us presents, too. They were randomly selected & I got a light pink dress shirt. I'm not sure if it's for a boy or a girl (Turkish boys wear lots of pink), but I think I can wear it at school without anyone noticing. There was dancing & the usual shenanigans with the exchange students. I was so glad to be with them that night.
Christmas Day we all met in a park pretty far out of the city & exchanged our Secret Santa gifts. It was really nice just to do something as a whole group. I really feel like the Americans & Canadian are my family & the Brazilians & Mexicans are my extended family, & what's Christmas without the extended family?
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment